Senior Geotechnical Engineer or Engineering Geoscientist
(Underground Rock Mechanics) (Kamloops)
BGC's Kamloops office is seeking a senior underground rock mechanics engineer with consulting engineering experience in the mining industry. The ideal candidate will have a strong academic background, a minimum of 20 years relevant consulting experience, and a desire to develop our existing team of underground rock mechanics engineers into a renowned group.
Candidates shall possess an undergraduate degree in geological/mining engineering or engineering geology. A post-graduate degree specializing in underground rock mechanics is desirable. A strong understanding of geotechnical engineering and engineering geology is essential, as well as significant experience in underground mining rock excavation stability analysis and ground support design; an understanding of instrumentation and hydrogeology is desirable. Project management skills and a willingness to supervise and mentor junior staff are also necessary. Proven communication skills (English) are essential and Spanish language skills are considered an asset.
- Bachelor’s degree or postgraduate degree in geology, geological engineering, or related discipline;
- 20+ years of consulting experience and technical leadership;
- Professional designation with APEGBC or similar association;
- Understanding of underground mining rock mechanics theory and practice, including demonstrated ability to advance underground mining rock mechanics projects from the proposal stage through to reporting and client presentation;
- Ability to manage multi-disciplined project teams working in remote, challenging environments;
- Proven ability to manage and mentor junior professional staff in the field and office;
- Desire to help lead BGC’s underground rock mechanics business development.
Desired Attributes and Knowledge
- Strong technical skills with a proven ability to complete underground mining rock mechanics projects, including site investigation programs, rock mass classification, underground stability analysis, and underground support design;
- Proven site investigation and/or construction services experience for developing projects or operating mines;
- Willingness and availability to travel to project locations in North and South America and beyond;
- Progressive project management experience, including proposals, budgets, schedules, staffing, and scope;
- Previous operational experience is considered an asset;
- Understanding of rock stability analysis programs FLAC, UDEC, FLAC3D, or RS3, and willingness to train others is considered an asset;
BGC aspires to be the world leader in applied earth sciences by 2025. We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefit package, and a casual but professional work environment. If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a covering letter in confidence to: