Climate Change Scientist
BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 450 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, receive mentorship opportunities, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as lunchtime yoga and companywide clubs.
BGC is looking for a Climate Change Scientist to work closely with our Geoscientists and Engineers to translate past and current climate conditions and climate change projections into applied geoscience and engineering projects for our clients. The Climate Change Scientist will be integrated throughout BGC and involved in projects from the early stages of project development and feasibility, to operations, and to closure. There is an opportunity to shape our path forward through climate integration. You will gain valuable industry experience working at a multinational Engineering firm, while practicing our values of One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense, and Clarity.
- Participate in the proposal preparation, work plan development, and project delivery of climate change and atmospheric science related services across the world with focus on North and South America. Primary emphasis will be on expansion of services for existing clients and markets related to the interpretation of current climate conditions, and climate change adaptation and resilience-type services. Existing clients work in mining, oil and gas, transportation and power sectors.
- Act as BGC’s internal specialist to source and interpret climate datasets such as climate modelling data bases, reanalysis tools, global circulation models and downscaling products.
- Contribute to our climate change services including:
- • site-specific climate change scenario generation based on model projections;
- • impact modelling of climate changes on streams, slopes, and engineered structures;
- • risk, hazard, and vulnerability assessments;
- • multidisciplinary climate changead aptation and resilience solutions;
- • communication of climate risks to the public;
- • climate change considerations for northern engineering; and
- • environmental impact assessments worldwide.
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Master’s or PhD degree in Science, Engineering, or a related discipline.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in climate change, natural resources management, vulnerability mapping, and/or community-based development programs.
- Ability to interpret climate data and projections and associated uncertainties.
- Knowledge of global climate models, databases and tools to extract relevant climate data from available sources and evaluate their validity and application to specific projects.
- Knowledge and experience on interdisciplinary climate change planning and a working knowledge of managing climate change impact studies.
- Experience with various downscaling methods and familiarity with web portals providing climate data and projections.
- Understanding of the implications of climate change on key sectors and ability to provide guidance on the integration of climate risk screening.
- Ability to establish priorities for enhancing climate adaptation and resilience on a project basis including detailed activities, implementation arrangements, and cost estimates.
- Experience in consulting and project management.
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders across a wide range of disciplines and office locations.
- Exceptional writing, presentation, and communication skills in English
- Proficiency in Spanish is an asset.
- Programming skills and experience working with large datasets are an asset.
- Understanding of the current state and challenges of climate change policy in Canada, the United States and preferably in Chile, Argentina and Peru is an asset.
- Experience in the development of codes and guidelines related to climate change planning and adaptions in related sectors is an asset.
BGC pays competitive salaries, provides a comprehensive benefit package, and maintains a casual but professional work environment. If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and cover letter in confidence to: email@example.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to diversity & inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.