BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 500 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, receive mentorship opportunities, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as lunchtime yoga and companywide clubs.
We are looking for a self-directed and curious data engineer who is interested in architecting a vision and implementing data pipelines, warehouses, and services to support BGC’s data science, software, and geoscience teams. You would join our small but rapidly growing analytics group who is specialized in delivering innovative products to our clients in the applied earth science space. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of helping the team build up new and robust systems according to industry best practices and tackling the challenges associated with geospatial data processing at scale.
- Working with BGC’s data scientists, data architect, software developers, and data analysts, you will apply your expertise with supporting machine learning Ops and data science to BGC’s unique set of earth science challenges.
- Serve as the technical lead and design of internal data-centric software applications.
- Develop and help maintain data infrastructure to extract, transform, and load data from various web APIs and internal databases, and to make them accessible to various client-facing applications as well as internal tools.
- Increase the throughput of the data streams ingested by BGC (hydro-meterological, numerical weather simulation and remote sensing datasets) and make this data available to as many internal services and analysts as possible.
- Working with the software development team as part of the agile software development life cycle.
- Keep up with current and emerging technologies in order to ensure that the application performance is optimized.
- Work with technical staff to turn conceptual designs and prototypes into operational software.
- Identifying ways to improve reliability, efficiency and quality of data.
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Engineering or Computer Science degree or equivalent.
- Masters degree in computer science or information technology management-related field is an asset.
- 5+ years experience working in a progressive professional environment, minimum 3 years dedicated to data engineering.
- Strong cloud architecture and tooling knowledge and experience – you will be responsible for helping to establish best practices within the software group and to improve existing systems. 2+ year experience with cloud data engineering ecosystems (Amazon AWS or Microsoft Azure) is a must.
- 2+ years experience with architecting, developing, and maintaining data streaming applications, data warehouses, and data lakes.
- 1+ years experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- 1+ years experience with serverless functions.
- 1+ years Experience working with spatial relational databases and SQL (i.e. PostGres, SQL Server).
- Competency in one or more of Python, Scala, Java, or C#, ideally with a demonstrated capacity to develop data applications.
- Strong SQL skills with foundational knowledge that allows you to write efficient queries.
- Experience with distributed computing systems such as Spark, preferably with geospatial packages such as GeoMesa/Apache Sedona. Experience with Databricks is preferred. Experience with Agile methodologies as well as familiar with CI/CD tools.
- Understanding of geospatial data and its unique properties is strongly preferred.
- Experience with technologies in the Pangeo platform is preferred (Dask, Kubernetes, Zarr).
- Experience with earth observation data is highly desirable.
- Understanding and experience with large time-series data sets is highly desirable.
- Experience with graph databases is desirable.
BGC offers a wide range of benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible hours
- Parental leave top-ups
- Social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Ability to work with fantastic teams and industry leaders
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC has offices in the following locations:
- Canada - Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Kingston, Fredericton, Halifax
- USA - Golden (Colorado)
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence to email@example.com.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the HR Team at 604-684-5900.