Human Resources Manager (Vancouver, BC)
BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. Employee-owned and 550+ strong, we work together as ‘One Team’, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Our unique culture is rooted in a firm belief in our core values. This allows us to work in partnership with our clients to pioneer responsible solutions to complex earth science challenges. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, receive mentorship opportunities, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as lunchtime yoga and companywide clubs.
We are seeking a Human Resources Manager based in our Vancouver Office to provide company-wide support for our teams. This is an exciting opportunity for a strong HR generalist to bring established best practices and innovation to our growing company. Reporting to the Human Resources Lead, and partnering with others across the business, the successful candidate will help achieve BGC’s people objectives while practicing our values of One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense and Clarity.
- Support the design and delivery of our full cycle recruitment program for continued growth within a hyper-competitive candidate landscape. including all recruitment-related campaigns (post-secondary recruitment drives, industry events)
- Understand BGC’s core values, culture, purpose and Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) strategies as our competitive advantages and integrate them into the way we attract, recruit and retain talent.
- Assist with immigration mobility and obtaining work visas for various countries for upcoming new joiners and interoffice mobility.
- Provide support for the performance management cycle and overall employee development; this includes 90-day review of new employees, BGC’s Performance Information Collection (PIC) process, annual reviews and any performance improvement/management plans that may be required.
- Assist learning & development team with programs for employee professional development through internal & external training programs.
- Have coaching conversations to support personal and professional growth of BGCers.
- Approachable and confidential point of contact/resource for employees and leaders on all matters related to HR.
- Find creative ways to support BGC’s culture of one team across all BGC offices.
- Regular travel to other BGC offices to maintain connections with staff.
- Coach BGCers to be the best leaders they can be, assisting them in how to have difficult but necessary feedback conversations, etc.
- Support BGC’s peer mentoring team, (known as the Compass Team) in defining and delivering on key objectives such as employee forums, and check-ins.
- Support quarterly pulse/employee engagement surveys including collation of results and recommendations for follow-up action.
- Analyze additional data such as turnover, exit interviews, Glassdoor reviews, etc.
- Work alongside the HR Lead on the strategic plan to enhance employee engagement.
- Manage medical leaves, both occupational and non-occupational leaves.
- Support mental wellness by connecting people to necessary supports.
- Stay up to date on any trends, recommend best practices.
- Participate in annual benefits renewal conversations with brokers/carriers; understand how to extract all possible value for dollars spent; stay on leading edge of new and interesting product offerings, report trends, recommend best practices.
Health & Safety
- Work with the H&S Team to provide case management support including return to work programs and health assessments.
- Support legislative training on policies such as Respectful Workplace and Violence in the Workplace.
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Post-secondary Degree or Diploma in Human Resources or a related field
- CPHR designation or an equivalent
- 8 – 10 years of HR generalist experience, including technical recruiting.
- End-to-end employee life cycle experience from recruitment to offboarding
- Thorough knowledge of BC Employment Standards (other provinces or US employee legislation knowledge is an asset)
- Experience with HRIS / HCM and use of software for strategic HR purposes.
- Excellent communications skills, written and oral, plus high emotional intelligence.
- A strong sense of accountability, sound judgement and commitment to safety
- Experience working in a fast-paced, self-directed entrepreneurial environment of engineers or other professional services.
- Ability to work in a collaborative, consultative way across a flat-structured organization
- Ability to travel to other BGC office across Canada, the United States, and Chile
BGC offers a wide range of benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible hours
- Parental leave top-ups
- Social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Ability to work with fantastic teams and industry leaders
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence to email@example.com.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the HR Team at 604-684-5900.