Junior/Intermediate DevOps Specialist
BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 600 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as company-wide clubs and mentoring opportunities.
The DevOps Specialist will be a part of BGC's growing software development team, working alongside world class engineers and geoscientists to develop safety-critical software applications. This role will build, release and maintain web and mobile applications that monitor potential geohazards and risks in real-time. The Specialist will have opportunities to conquer unique challenges with our highly available web applications, using state of the art geographical information systems with cloud infrastructures.
To learn more about the software development team at BGC, click here: http://www.bgcengineering.ca/software.
- In collaboration with the developers and QA, build and maintain the release pipelines in a Scrum/Agile environment
- Reduce or eliminate downtime during releases; collaborate with BGC’s health monitoring resources by creating dashboards as preventative action
- Support scaling BGC’s growth using technologies including Docker and Kubernetes
- Collaborate/brainstorm with the team to tackle complex technological infrastructure, security or development problems
- Collaborate to improve BGC's systems, including researching and applying new technologies to our applications
- Champion DevOps standards and foster best practices across teams
- Support BGC's continuing transition from on-prem servers to Azure
- Work with technologies including C#, .NET, Python, React, TypeScript, Xamarin, Azure, Azure Functions, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- You love to be challenged; willingness and ability to pivot with rapidly changing business needs to support and use future technology
- You have experience collaborating with engineers and product managers and working cross-functionally to deliver user experiences that excites internal and external customers/clients
- You excel at problem solving and troubleshooting
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment
- You are meticulous with process and documentation
- You have a curiosity and desire to implement industry best practices for IT operations
- You are proactive, have a strong work ethic and are comfortable with minimal supervision
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and working experience
- 1+ years of DevOps experience
- Knowledge, skills and experience within the following areas:
- Azure Cloud solutions and Azure DevOps
- Linux and optionally Docker and Kubernetes
- Pulumi or Terraform
- Working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Source control using Git
- Infrastructure scripting solutions; Python or Shell Scripting
- Setting up monitoring tools and dashboards
- Exceptional English communication skills, both oral and written; ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders
BGC offers a wide range of benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible hours
- Parental leave top-ups
- Social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Ability to work with fantastic teams and industry leaders
- Casual and professional work environment
If you have both the qualifications and interest for a career with BGC, please send your resume and cover letter in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or call the HR Team at 604-684-5900.