BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 450 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, receive mentorship opportunities, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as lunchtime yoga and company-wide clubs.
BGC is looking for a Library Manager to lead, develop, and manage BGC’s library and information services. The Library Manager will be integrated throughout BGC and involved in projects to provide user-centered research and information services and facilitate access to information assets. The Library Manager will work closely with a small team of Library Technicians to achieve both team and broader business objectives. You will gain valuable industry experience working at a multinational Engineering firm, while practicing our values of One Team, Excellence, Curiosity, Common Sense, and Clarity.
- Work closely with Geoscientists and Engineers to solve research problems
- Develop and deliver in-depth research and reference services
- Curate research results to provide the most relevant information to project teams
- Design and deliver research skills training
- Coach staff in research skills development and personal information management
- Design, develop, and maintain online content for the library’s intranet site
- Facilitate access to a variety of information resources, including books, journals, conference proceedings, theses, government reports, consultant reports, statistics, aerial photographs, geological maps, etc.
Resource and Information Management
- Manage BGC’s collection of information and knowledge resources
- Manage the acquisition and negotiation of electronic content subscriptions
- Manage the development of consistent metadata schema for all collections
- Collaborate with the Administrative and Documents teams to organize and provide access to internal information resources
- Conduct ongoing information audits to identify information assets and incorporate them into the strategic information management plan
- Review data, information and knowledge management needs, and recommend appropriate programs and tools to support them
- Lead special information management projects using SharePoint or other tools, leveraging the power of metadata, taxonomies, and search to manage information
- Manage and mentor a team of Library Technicians
- Align library and information services with the company’s goals
- Communicate the value of library and information services to relevant stakeholders
- Maintain and advise on current knowledge of copyright, licensing, and intellectual property issues
- Develop library policies and procedures
- Participate in ongoing professional development
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science and/or Information from an ALA- accredited graduate program
- 5+ years of professional working experience in an academic or corporate library
- Proven managerial skills and excellent people skills
- Experience in technical research
- Experience planning, implementing, and evaluating library services and systems to support organizational priorities
- Experience leading and supervising a team
- Experience in consulting and project management
- Exceptional writing, presentation, and communication skills in English
- Working knowledge of copyright law and electronic licensing
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders across a wide range of disciplines and office locations
- Ability to travel to other BGC offices to develop strong library connections across the company
- Knowledge of geosciences or engineering is an asset
- Experience in records management, knowledge management, and/or data management is an asset
- Experience delivering instructional programs an asset
BGC pays competitive salaries, provides a comprehensive benefits package, and maintains a casual but professional work environment. If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence to: email@example.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to diversity & inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.