FILLING THE GAPS BETWEEN BOREHOLES
BGC’s geophysics team offers non-ground-disturbing techniques to allow sub-surface characterization in the many cases where digging and drilling are not an option.
BGC’s resources include decades of combined experience, in-house geophysical equipment rental and sophisticated data processing, interpretation, presentation and reporting. Our geophysics team seamlessly integrates with the broader BGC team to deliver high-quality solutions that allow our clients to make sound engineering decisions and, in turn, build challenging and ambitious projects.
BGC’s application of geophysics to the geological and engineering practice is fundamental to our work. As part of BGC’s in-house geophysics capabilities, BGC offers expert services in near surface geophysical assessments for a wide variety of applications. Our team has extensive experience planning and executing customized geophysical programs in a wide variety of site conditions to meet our client’s site-specific needs.
The BGC geophysics team has decades of combined experience in geophysical site characterization programs and has successfully executed programs all over the world. Geophysical surveys are an efficient, cost-effective and non-intrusive method of collecting high density subsurface data. They allow for optimization of more costly programs such as drilling or excavation by providing planners with geological information as well as potential targets for further investigation (e.g., mapping of contaminate plumes).
Our geophysical experts can also combine the geophysical results with co-located subsurface information (e.g., lithology logs, chemistry, geological model), creating an integrated 3-D site model, which can be used to gain a comprehensive understanding of site conditions and help identify data gaps. Alternatively, our data can be provided in a variety of data formats so it can be easily utilized by drafting and GIS teams.
Our philosophy is that a geophysical survey should never be performed to “tick a box”, and we regularly identify situations where alternatives to geophysics may offer better solutions to cost-effectively advance a project. We will always provide an honest appraisal of the risks involved and counsel you on the best way forward. We pride ourselves on quality and developing innovative approaches, which means we are continually updating technology and methods for field data acquisition, data processing, and reporting deliverables. We also utilize BGC’s One Team of subject matter experts in geotechnical engineering, hydrogeology, and geosciences to ensure that we are more than just another geophysics contractor.
- Site assessments (contaminated sites and liability management)
- Water exploration and management
- Resource exploration
- Engineering geophysics
- Historical and archeological studies
- Electrical Resistivity Tomography (ERT) and 1-D Resistivity Soundings
- Electromagnetics (EM) techniques, including terrain conductivity, metal detection and VLF
- Magnetics (ground or UAV based)
- Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR)
- Seismic Refraction Tomography (SRT)
- Seismic Reflection
- Multichannel Analysis of Surface Waves (MASW)
- A comprehensive suite of downhole logging tools for geological, geotechnical and groundwater characterization
- UAV Photogrammetry, Multispectral and Thermal Imaging
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) surface and downhole methods
- Distributed Temperature Sensing (DTS)