Senior Geotechnical Engineer (Western Canada)
BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 500 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as company-wide clubs and mentoring opportunities.
BGC is seeking a senior level Geotechnical Engineer with a fundamental understanding and interest in soil mechanics, deep and shallow foundations, ground anchors, retaining walls, shoring, slope stabilization, roadways, railways and related construction services to join our team in Western Canada. The suitable candidate should have the ability to work in multi-disciplined project teams across BGC’s various business sectors including transportation, mining or pipeline infrastructure.
- Act as lead geotechnical engineer of record, coordinating geotechnical investigations, analyses, design and construction monitoring (CQA) for slope stabilization, foundation, and earth retention projects
- Lead and coordinate proposal preparation and identify new opportunities
- Manage projects from initiation to completion, including proposals, budgets, and schedules
- Train and mentor junior and intermediate professional staff in the field and office
- Complete regular field inspections and site visits during investigation and construction, to fulfill engineer of record responsibilities
- Participate in coordination, training and career development of BGC’s civil geotechnical staff
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Bachelor of Engineering or Applied Science; civil or geological engineering with geotechnical focus
- 10+ years of post-graduate experience in geotechnical engineering
- Experience with field investigation techniques such as soil logging, SPT, and CPT
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in Canada
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong understanding of soil mechanics, fundamental knowledge of geotechnical design, slope stability, soil-structure interaction, groundwater, seepage and drainage
- Experience as lead geotechnical engineer, coordinating investigations, design and construction for deep and shallow foundations, such as spread footings, driven piles, drilled shafts, and micropiles
- Experience with earth retention, such as shoring, retaining walls, slope retention and MSE walls
Desired Education, Experience & Competencies
- A high level of experience with current geotechnical software applications, such as SLOPE/W, CPeT-IT, SETTLE3D, UNIPILE, LPILE, PYWALL, SupportIT and GRLWEAP
- Strong leadership and team-building skills
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Strong analytical and project management skills
- Relevant post-graduate degree in civil geotechnical engineering
- Training and experience in seismic geotechnical engineering
- Prior experience in consulting engineering or construction
BGC’s Vancouver, Kamloops, Calgary, or Edmonton office is preferred as a home base; however, BGC has offices in various Canadian cities and in Golden, Colorado which may be considered for a qualified candidate.
BGC offers a wide range of benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible hours and work from home policies
- Parental leave top ups
- Social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Ability to work with fantastic teams and industry leaders
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or call the HR Team at 604-684-5900.