Senior Data Scientist
BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. Currently there are over 500 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, receive mentorship opportunities, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as lunchtime yoga and companywide clubs.
BGC is seeking a senior data scientist for a leadership position within a growing data science group. The position will be technical in nature but there will also be opportunities to work with company leadership to develop and implement strategy, guide the use of technologies and mentor more junior team members. We are looking for someone who has experience in applying data science techniques to the unique challenges presented in applied earth sciences.
- Working with BGC’s data engineers, data architect, software developers, and data analysts, you will apply your expertise with machine learning and data science to BGC’s unique set of earth science challenges.
- Lead projects involving the integration of big data and advanced analytics with complex earth science problems.
- Network with various internal project managers and group leads to develop and implement strategy surrounding data science within BGC.
- Design data modelling workflows to solve real world engineering and geoscience problems.
- Provide analytical and data modelling support to projects.
- Research, prototype, and oversee the implementation of various machine learning algorithms on earth science data.
- Interact with and mentor, as appropriate, others involved with digital innovation initiatives across BGC.
- Code review of other developers and data scientists as part of a scrum team.
- Serve as the technical lead for data-centric projects.
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Engineering, Earth Science or Computer Science degree or equivalent, and/or ML/DS advanced degree
- 7+ years experience working in a progressive professional environment, minimum 4 years dedicated to ML/DS
- Demonstrated leadership experience and a software or DS team.
- Ability to communicate complicated ideas simply to stakeholders.
- Experience developing large scale data-driven solutions within a consulting environment.
- Experience with applying machine learning to geospatial problems.
- Proficient using one ore more statistical programming languages for machine learning (Python preferred).
- Strong foundational knowledge of principles underlying common statistical learning techniques (linear regression, support vector machine, tree-based methods, bagging and boosting methods).
- Experience with statistical modelling, specifically with generalized extreme value theory.
- Experience with time series modelling.
- Experience with both recurrent neural networks and convolutional neural networks.
- Experience in computer vision applications.
- Proven ability to apply domain expertise to ML/DS problems in the physical world, e.g. applied science.
- Spirit of intrapreneurship and leadership skills are an asset.
- Experience with Machine Learning Operations (MLOps) and at least one MLOps framework is an asset.
- Experience applying computer vision techniques to remote sensing data is an asset.
- Experience in the application of Bayesian statistics in an asset.
BGC offers a wide range of benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible hours
- Parental leave top-ups
- Social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Ability to work with fantastic teams and industry leaders
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC has offices in the following locations:
- Canada - Vancouver, Victoria, Kamloops, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Kingston, Fredericton, Halifax
- USA - Golden (Colorado)
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence to email@example.com.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the HR Team at 604-684-5900.