BGC Engineering Inc. (BGC) is an international consulting firm that provides professional services in applied earth sciences. We work together as one team, with coordination and integration of all offices and disciplines. We are the recipient of the 2019 UBC Science Co-op Employer Recognition Award and a finalist for the 2020 BC Technology Impact Award for Excellence in Technology Adoption. Currently there are over 450 employees, consisting of professional engineers, geoscientists, technicians, software developers, administrators, accountants, health & safety and human resources professionals. BGC has offices in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, as well as Colorado, US and Santiago, Chile.
Our flat management structure and unique culture create a work environment where employees can grow professionally, work with fantastic teams and enjoy perks such as lunch time yoga, companywide clubs and mentoring opportunities.
The Architect is responsible for defining and executing the technical strategy for development of BGC software. In collaboration with internal stakeholders, the Architect will be responsible for implementation, management of technical risks and opportunities, project development, and our software development processes.
To learn more about the software development team at BGC, click here: http://www.bgcengineering.ca/software.
- Create prototypes to evaluate new technologies we want to implement or new approaches we want to use to solve our problems.
- Responsible for defining and executing a technical strategy for application development.
- Collaborate with product stakeholders to break down high level requirements into actionable development strategies.
- Ability to evaluate and build solutions with new technologies, and evangelize the resulting approach within the team.
- Performing design and code reviews.
- Ensuring that uniform enterprise-wide application design standards are maintained.
- Identifying the hardware and software that will be needed.
- Architecture valuation and collaboration.
Technical Support and Training
- Provides solutions in areas of disaster recovery, data integrity, and security.
- Evaluate and recommend software technologies.
- Take a metrics-driven approach to anticipate future technology issues that will affect the health or quality of the team an product.
- Advise and suggest future IT developments to managers.
- Produces documents relating to application architecture, design steps, integration processes and testing procedures relating to each product developed.
- Document installation and maintenance of application software as well as guidelines and standards that should be adhered to for each product.
- Provide suggestions to team tech leads to guide for future development.
- Mentoring team members on good design or development practices.
- Act as a role model, coach and mentor other members of the team to grow as software engineers.
- Leadership through example with the ability to work along side team when required.
- Explaining plans agreed with managers to designers and developers.
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Strong analytical, creative, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Detail oriented
- Embody the “One Team” value
- Effective leadership, communication and presentation skills
- 15+ years of relevant experience, leading technical direction of large-scale engineering teams
- Provide a unique blend of technical and people skills to provide technical leadership, mentoring, and career guidance to a group of Engineers
- Strong web application development experience
- Experience building and running highly scalable web applications
BGC offers a wide range of benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Flexible hours
- Parental leave top-ups
- Social activities
- Professional development opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Ability to work with fantastic teams and industry leaders
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
If you are qualified and interested in a career with BGC, please send your resume and a cover letter in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or call the HR Team at 604-684-5900.